Stephen D. Paul
Stephen D. Paul, MPH
Mr. Paul has held positions of increasing responsibility in industrial health over the past 30 years. He has extensive experience as a Field Industrial Hygienist and Industrial Hygiene Manager in the chemical industry. He also has extensive experience as a Supervisor, Manager, and Corporate Safety and Health Officer of an occupational health consulting firm. Mr. Paul has provided industrial health consultation services to national and regional clients. He has advised clients on difficult environmental health issues, managed complex interdisciplinary projects, reviewed and approved proposals and reports, conducted assessments and audits, and provided litigation support.
Mr. Paul also has more than 15 years of experience as a trainer in various aspects of industrial health, including hazardous waste operations and emergency response (HAZWOPER), hazard communication, respiratory protection, hearing conservation, personal protective equipment, bloodborne pathogens, ventilation, monitoring strategies, and lock-out/tag-out. He was also a part-time faculty member at the Wayne State University, Graduate School of Occupational and Environmental Health Sciences where he teaches Industrial Hygiene Control Methods.
Master of Public Health in Industrial Health, The University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, Michigan, December 1975.
Bachelor of Science in Zoology, Michigan State University, East Lansing Michigan, June 1968.
Certified Industrial Hygienist, Comprehensive Practice (No. 1813), 1980 – 2018.
Enviroair Consultants, Inc.
October 2005 to present
Mr. Paul is responsible for business development activities, and provides industrial health consulting services, training, field industrial hygiene assessments, technical document review, and project management.
Clayton Group Services, Inc. – Novi, Michigan
Supervisor/Manager, Occupational Health Services, Senior Consultant, Corporate Safety and Health Officer, and Senior Project Manager
April 1988 to October 2005
Mr. Paul was responsible for business development of national and regional clients, managing a group of occupational health consultants, proposal writing, technical review of industrial health written work products, national account manager, development of air monitoring plans, special projects, and litigation support. His clients were principally in the automotive, pharmaceutical, chemical, food, and foundry industries. He has extensive field assessment experience with isocyanates and formaldehyde, and also has extensive experience providing HAZWOPER training. He was the Corporate Safety and Health Officer and had responsibility for development and maintenance of internal safety and health programs.
Monsanto Company – Creve Coeur, Missouri
Environmental Process Engineer, Corporate Industrial Hygienist, and Industrial Hygiene Field Manager
January 1976 to April 1988
Mr. Paul was assigned to process development and technology transfer for an ion exchange process to remove corrosion inhibitors in cooling tower blowdown in the Corporate Engineering Department. In February 1978, he transferred to the Corporate Department of Medicine and Environmental Health where he implemented the corporate industrial hygiene program, and updated and audited individual plant industrial hygiene programs for the Agricultural Products and Chemical Intermediates Operating Companies. From 1984 to 1988, he managed, updated and audited Operating Company and individual plant industrial hygiene programs for the Industrial Chemicals and Textiles Operating Companies. From 1978 to 1988, his corporate specialty areas were engineering controls/ventilation, welding practices, and hazardous waste sites.
Wayne County Air Pollution Control – Detroit, Michigan
May 1974 to August 1974
Mr. Paul was principally involved with stack sampling and ambient air monitoring activities.
- American Industrial Hygiene Association, Hazardous Waste, Engineering, and/or Emergency Response Planning Guidelines Technical Committees, 1979 to 1997.
- Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society, Board of Directors, 1993 to 1996.
- Part-time faculty member at the Wayne State University, Graduate School of Occupational and Environmental Health Sciences, teaches Industrial Hygiene Control Methods (1990 to present).
- Published (with John L. Henshaw, CIH), Styrene-Acrylonitrile and Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene Plastics, Chapter 5 of the Process Flows Section of Industrial Hygiene Aspects of Plant Operations, edited by Lester V. and Lewis J. Cralley, PhD, CIH, MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., New York, 1982.
- United States Navy (1969 to 1973), Operations Intelligence/Radar Specialist, three Letters of Commendation, Honorable Discharge.
- Monsanto Merit Award recipient, 1977 – Central Engineering Department, and 1984 – Department of Medicine and Environmental Health.
- Clayton President’s Award recipient, 1990.
- Member, American Industrial Hygiene Association, 1975 to present.
- Member, American Academy of Industrial Hygiene, 1980 to present.
- Member, Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society, 1989 to present.
Enviroair Consultants, Inc.
47519 Van Dyke Ave.
Shelby Township, Michigan 48317
Toll Free: 888-5-ENVIRO